I never really felt that I had a style, or that my outfits were ‘put-together’ in any way. I must admit, that for many years and particularly when my son was young, I just threw on what fit or was clean.
During that time I was still working as a consultant to small businesses in ICT, Web Marketing, Social Media etc and being in a creative industry, it’s lucky that jeans are an accepted part of the dress code.
Once I started to look at my lifestyle, what I wanted from my wardrobe and how I want to look, the pieces of the puzzle fell into place. I’m what some call a Natural/Classic. I enjoy dressing up and wearing suits, but for me, comfort and easy of movement are high on the list of priorities.
If you’re thinking of a style consultation, either in person or virtual, try this little bit of homework first.
- What do you need from a capsule wardrobe?
- is it for work?
- family time, casual weekends?
- professional wear?
- special occasion/wedding/other family event?
Being clear about what you want will help you get the most out of the session and make a real impact on your life. Don’t try and change your whole life at once. Pick one area of life, say work, and do that first. The rest you can get as you have time or the need arises.
Once you’ve made that choice, think about your keywords. What three to five words describe the requirements of that capsule wardrobe?
For my family time/casual weekend wardrobe my priorities were
- casual – easy to dress up with a few accessories if needed
- comfortable – natural fibres, blends, bit of stetch so I can move swiftly and easily
- machine wash – this is a big one for me, or it will languish in the bottom of the laundry basket forever
What are your priorities and keywords?